Jul 28, 2014
Partly Cloudy

Light Fixture Causes Lochinver Lane Fire

Investigators found unexploded, illegal fireworks in the basement

Light Fixture Causes Lochinver Lane Fire Light Fixture Causes Lochinver Lane Fire

The was accidental, caused by a light fixture in the basement storage closet, fire officials said Tuesday.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue investigators estimate the damage at $75,000. 

Units received a call about a basement fire at 9:16 a.m. Monday and were on scene at 9:22 a.m. Firefighters had difficulty locating the seat of the fire because of a large amount of stored items in the basement. The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes, according to a statement from fire officials.

Upon the crew's arrival, they found smoke coming from all four sides of the home, Battalion Chief Philip Pommerening said on Monday. Using a thermal imager, they found the fire burning in the basement.

Crews discovered illegal, unexploded fireworks in the basement after the fire was exinguished. The homeowner was issued a notice of violation, and the fireworks were confiscated.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue offers the following electrical safety tips:

  • Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
  • Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
  • If your power goes out a lot or the lights in your home flicker, smell bad, or make noise, have an electrician come in to inspect your wiring.   
  • The electrical outlet in the bathroom should have a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). This is a tool that protects you from dangerous shock when water and electricity come together. An electrician can install a GFCI for you.
  • All electrical outlets and switches should be covered by “face plates.”
  • When possible, avoid the use of “cube taps” and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
  • Inspect electrical cords to make sure they are in good condition.
  • Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
  • Don’t tie or knot electrical cords.
  • Don’t let furniture sit on electrical cords.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.

Get daily and breaking news email updates from Oakton Patch by signing up for newsletters  hereOr follow Oakton Patch on  Twitter and  Facebook.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!