Sick of looking at clutter around your house? There's a solution: Spring cleaning, and the City of Alexandria is here to help. They'll be picking up bulky items from curbs beginning Saturday and the next three Saturdays.
Clean-up days are: Saturday, March 22, Saturday, March 29, Saturday, April 5, and Saturday, April 12. (Consult the map above to find your neighborhood's clean-up day.)
The City is divided into four collection areas and each area is assigned a unique Saturday for Spring Clean Up throughout April and May. Metals should be separated from other collection items left at the curb, because City refuse crews will be making a special collection for these metal materials.
Also, if your street is a boundary line, consider the middle of the road the divider. Your collection area will be designated by the date of the area closest to your side of the street. Eligible residents have been mailed a postcard showing dates,collection zones, and preparation instructions.
To locate your Spring Clean Up Area and collection date please see the below map or call the Solid Waste Division Office at (703)746-4410.
Spring Clean Up is an opportunity for residents to set out unusable items to be collected on specific dates, as designated on the map. Items are disposed of at the Covanta Energy from Waste facility and other local landfills. You can also consider donation before setting out items for the Spring Clean Up program.
City Residential Curbside Solid Waste Customers only.
- Improperly prepared paints
- Hazardous Materials
- Unbundled brush or loose yard waste
- Incorrectly prepared sharp items
- Building materials (such as drywall, shingles and lumber)
Material Preparation Information:
- Consider donating items before placing them out for Spring Clean Up or Regular collection.
- Check the map below to determine your assigned collection area and date of collection.
- Place your materials at the curb (no alley collections) no later than 6 a.m. on the day of collection and no earlier than 5 p.m. the day before collection.*
- Separate all metal, electronics, appliances, furniture, brush and other miscellaneous items for easy collection. Large and small metal items and electronics will be recycled
- Large metal item examples: file cabinets, grills (not including propane tank), lawn mowers (empty gas tank), metal sheds, wire fencing, ladders, etc.
- Small metal item examples: wire hangers, pots and pans, toasters, chairs, metal pipes, tire rims (no tire), etc.
- Appliances including: stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, hot water heaters, freezers and dish washers will still incur a $20 per item collection fee.
- All brush tied in bundles no longer than four (4) feet. Containers and bundles should not weigh more than 75 pounds.
- Correctly prepare sharp items for collection.
*NOTE: Please ensure all materials are set out at the correct time. Crews will not make second trips into areas after the first pass, these materials, which are eligible, will be collected with regualer weekly refuse collection.
*If your street is a boundary line, consider the middle of the road the divider, and your area will be the area closest to your side of the street.