19 Aug 2014
68° Mostly Cloudy
Patch Instagram photo by ermyceap
Patch Instagram photo by taratesimu
Patch Instagram photo by taratesimu
Patch Instagram photo by lilyava299
Patch Instagram photo by _mollfairhurst
Patch Instagram photo by thecontemporaryhannah
Patch Instagram photo by lucyketch
Patch Instagram photo by laurabarreto87
Patch Instagram photo by lghtwght

Elderly Sammamish Couple Bilked Out of $90,000

The couple were convinced to wire large amounts of cash by a series of phone callers claiming to be trying to get their grandson out of serious legal trouble.

Elderly Sammamish Couple Bilked Out of $90,000


An elderly Sammamish couple called police on Friday, April 13, to report that they had been victims of a nearly $90,000 fraud scam, perpetrated over the course of five days. The couple, both around 80 years old, were contacted by a young man who they told police "sounded just like their grandson" and defrauded over the course of five days, discovering the scam when their actual grandson called them on Friday.

It was a phone fraud that has become increasingly common in Washington state, including cases in Gig Harbor, and is often referred to as the “grandchild scam.” The Washington State Attorney General’s Office advises people to consider any request for a wire transfer invariably a fraudulent scheme and to be suspicious any time you’re asked to send money quickly—and secretly.

Sammamish police say the couple had received a phone call from someone purporting to be their grandson who lives in the area. He told them he was in Georgia and claimed he was in desperate need after being arrested for a vehicle accident there, and begging them not to tell his parents about the trouble he was in. The next day, another man called, claiming he was the young man’s attorney, and convincing the couple to wire a total of more than $6,000 to a person in Arima, Trinidad for attorney fees, court fees, and damages.

The couple received yet another call next day, April 11, from the “attorney,” who told them more money was required because the victim of the accident had a broken femur and insurance would not cover all of the medical costs. Later that day, furthering the scam, a woman called claiming to be the prosecuting attorney in the case. During the course of this, the couple was urged not to tell the boys parents about any of this, and they told Sammamish police they had been very deeply troubled about the tight spot their grandson was in. The couple made subsequent wire transfers for $5,750 and $77,500 for medical expenses and bail, respectively, with the help of their broker, but without giving the broker any details about why they needed to transfer the money.

Finally, on April 13, the supposed attorney called the couple again, claiming that the victim in the accident had had a miscarriage and was demanding $500,000 in damages. At that point, the couple told him that the “cookie jar was empty” and urged that the grandson tell his parents so they could help him decide what to do. The man then asked the couple specific questions about the boy’s uncle, indicating that he was going to call him for money next.

The couple finally realized they were being scammed when their actual grandson called simply to find out if they would like their lawn mowed on Saturday. The couple called their broker to see if they could freeze the account and get a return wire transfer, and they reported the fraud to the FBI.

At this time the suspects have not been identified, but Sammamish Police have some leads and have been in contact with law enforcement in Houston and Los Angeles regarding those leads, said Sergeant Jessica Sullivan. She said they hope to get a federal agency such as the FBI involved.

For more information on common telephone fraud schemes, see this information from the Federal Trade Commission

Share This Article