Jul 28, 2014
59°
Clear

Fire Destroys Garage, Damages Home

Authorities are not sure what caused a fire in the 2200 block of E. Oak Street Sunday night. Residents were able to evacuate with no injuries.

Fire Destroys Garage, Damages Home

A fire Sunday night in the 2200 block of E. Oak Street destroyed a garage and caused significant smoke damage inside the home.

The home's owners were watching television in the living room about 6:30 p.m. when they smelled smoke. After racing outside, they went to the garage and found a small fire in the southeast corner.

They were able to remove their vehicles, their dog and evacuate with no injuries. According to a police report, some siding on a neighboring house was also melted.

One of the residents told Patch they were surprised by the fire and still do not know the cause or estimated damage. The American Red Cross put them up at a hotel while work on their house continues.

The resident said he was happy no one was injured and praised the for its response.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!