Jul 29, 2014
Partly Cloudy

Police: Waukesha Man Flees Police on Motorcycle

Suspect is stunned with a Taser before being taken into custody, according to a criminal complaint.

Police: Waukesha Man Flees Police on Motorcycle

A 31-year-old Waukesha man is accused of trying to outrun police officers while driving a motorcycle drunk, according to a criminal complaint.

Ricky L. Perry was charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Monday with one count of attempting to flee a traffic officer, one count of obstructing an officer, one count of resisting an officer and one count of second offense operating while intoxicated. If convicted, he faces up to 3-½ years in prison and $31,100 in fines.

According to the criminal complaint:

At 2:14 a.m. Saturday, a Waukesha police officer was doing a business check at an area bar when he spotted a motorcycle with no rear license plate heading northbound on Delafield Street. The officer began to follow the motorcycle, which sped up to 40 miles per hour in a 25 miles per hour speed zone, turned into Speedway, went past the gas pumps and behind the building.

The officer thought the behavior was suspicious, so he pulled into Speedway in an attempt to cut off the motorcycle if it left. However, the bike came right at him, turned westbound onto Summit Avenue and sped off at 60 to 70 miles per hour. The officer began to chase the motorcycle, which turned northbound onto Cumberland Drive, crossed into the oncoming lanes of traffic and nearly hit a curb.

The motorcycle continued traveling 50 miles per hour through a residential area, turned left onto Washington Avenue, went eastbound and ran a red light at the Delafield Street intersection, where Perry nearly lost control of the motorcycle while turning northbound. He turned left onto Moreland Boulevard and drove into oncoming traffic, forcing another squad car to get out of the way as it came to assist in the chase. Officers stopped the chase after reaching Meadowlark, but continued to follow at slower speeds, keeping Perry’s motorcycle within sight.

Perry turned left on Michigan Avenue, went northbound on Kimberly Drive, before turning eastbound onto Wilshire Drive, where he lost control of the motorcycle and fell down. Perry got back up and began walking across a driveway, when he was approached by a police officer.

Perry began to run and tried to jump a bush, but fell to the ground. He continued to ignore officer’s commands, so Perry was then stunned with a Taser and taken into custody.

Perry was taken to Waukesha Memorial Hospital where he failed field sobriety tests and had to be held down by five police officers in an attempt to get a blood test from him.

Perry was previously convicted of OWI in 2006. He’s currently being held in Waukesha County Jail on $2,500 bond while awaiting trial.

While in court on his bail hearing, Perry argued he didn't have a rearview mirror and didn't realized police were chasing him.

Don’t miss updates from Patch!