Crime & Safety
Two-Year-Old Becomes Second Fatality After Sunday Shooting In Tuscaloosa
A two-year-old child is dead, along with an adult, following a Sunday afternoon shooting on Dragon's Lane.
TUSCALOOSA, AL — A two-year-old has died from injuries sustained in a shooting that killed one other person Sunday on Dragon's Lane in Tuscaloosa.
Click here to subscribe to our free daily newsletter and breaking news alerts.
As Patch previously reported, one person was pronounced dead at the scene and at the two-year-old was transported to DCH Regional Medical Center for treatment.
Find out what's happening in Tuscaloosafor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Captain Marty Sellers of the Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit said the shooting occurred in the 3000 block of Dragon's Lane. Just before 11 p.m. Sunday evening, Sellers informed local media that the child had died.
Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox took to social media to say the shooting occurred at a home adjacent to Freeman Park, going on to say the suspects are "not new" to the Tuscaloosa Police Department.
Find out what's happening in Tuscaloosafor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"Our team will be relentless in pursuing them," he said. "The fact that the suspects are known speaks to our state’s broken criminal justice system. We will continue to do more & invest more. However, our partners in juvenile & adult criminal justice systems have to step-up or we will continue to arrest and re-arrest the same individuals."
Maddox went on to cite his own experiences, saying there were people who knew that a drive-by shooting could happen.
"Our humanity must compel us to do everything in our power to save lives," he said. "If you know something, say something."
This is a developing story Tuscaloosa Patch will have more information as it comes available.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.