Crime & Safety

Homicide Investigation In Banning Leads To Arrests 1 Year Later

The two suspects were minors at the time of the slaying of 21-year-old Banning resident Donald Ray Miles III.

BANNING, CA — Two arrests were made last week in the killing of a Banning man more than a year ago.

The suspects — who were minors at the time of the slaying of 21-year-old Donald Ray Miles III — were taken into custody by Banning police around 5 a.m. May 14 as search warrants were served in the 500 block of E. Ramsey Street and the 1100 block of W. George Street.

The suspects' identities were not released.

Find out what's happening in Banning-Beaumontfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

In addition to murder, one of the suspects is also suspected of attempting to kill a second victim and participating in a criminal street gang. The second suspect was booked on suspicion of being an accessory after the fact, police said.

The investigation into Miles' death began shortly before 7 p.m. on April 14, 2025, when Banning police were dispatched
to the area of 8th and Ramsey streets regarding a shooting.

Find out what's happening in Banning-Beaumontfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

When officers arrived, they found two males with gunshot wounds at Jack’s Market on 8th Street. One of the victims was Miles; he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The other victim was transported to a local trauma hospital in critical condition; he survived.

Although two arrests were made last week, the Banning Police Department said the investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the agency's Detective Bureau at 951-922-3170.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.