Politics & Government
Man Avoids Life In Prison Thanks To San Mateo County Judge
The judge granted a Romero motion, sparing the man who was on his third felony conviction.

REDWOOD CITY, CA – A 28-year-old man avoided life in prison last week when he was sentenced to 16 years and 8 months in prison following a burglary that was his third felony conviction, San Mateo County prosecutors said.
On July 2, 2016, a San Bruno resident called police because they heard a burglar alarm going off at their neighbor's home.
Officers arrived and saw Kenyon McDowell leaving the home through the front door. McDowell was wearing gloves and carrying a camera.
Find out what's happening in Belmontfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
When McDowell saw police he dropped the camera, ran and got into a parked car.
Officers were partially inside the suspect car when it lunged forward, according to prosecutors. Officers, however, used a Taser and were able to arrest McDowell.
Find out what's happening in Belmontfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Neither officer was injured, District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.
McDowell faced life in prison because the arrest was his third felony conviction, but the judge granted a Romero motion on Friday, which negated the effect of one of the prior convictions on McDowell's sentence.
McDowell is in jail on $100,000 bail.
Defense attorney Mark Camperi was not available for comment.
– By Bay City News Service / Image via Shutterstock