Crime & Safety

Police Identify Suspect Wanted in Fatal Los Alamitos Shooting

Police are looking for a 41-year-old Los Alamitos man in connection with Sunday's slaying of a father of two.

Los Alamitos police this morning released the name of a person of interest in connection with the shooting death of a man on a street in Los Alamitos.

He is 41-year-old Eleazar Vargas, said Los Alamitos police Capt. Rick Moore. Vargas is believed to be a neighbor of the victim.

Officers responded to a call of shots heard at 5:05 p.m. Sunday near Pine and Catalina streets, Los Alamitos police Capt. Sean Connolly said.

Find out what's happening in Belmont Shore-Naplesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“Upon arrival, a victim of gunshot wounds was found at the scene, where he was declared deceased,” Connolly said.

Neighbors told KABC7 the victim was 39-year-old Sangju Sung, a married father of two, who had been having trouble with an aggressive neighbor.

Find out what's happening in Belmont Shore-Naplesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The neighbors said Sung sent a text to his wife shortly before the shooting stating he was having a problem with the neighbor.

Police asked anyone with information about the shooting to call them at (562)431-2255 ext. 426 or Orange County Crime Stoppers at (855) 847-6227.

City News Service

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Belmont Shore-Naples