Crime & Safety

Concord Man Accused Of Threatening Mass Synagogue Shooting: PD

Tipped off by the FBI, detectives served warrants at the 23-year-old's home and seized an AR-15 and Nazi literature, Concord police said.

Ross Farca of Concord, California is accused of making criminal threats and possessing an illegal assault rifle.
Ross Farca of Concord, California is accused of making criminal threats and possessing an illegal assault rifle. (Concord Police Department)

CONCORD, CA — A sword, an assault rifle, high-capacity magazines, Nazi literature and camouflage clothing were among the items authorities seized from the home of a Concord man who is accused of threatening online to commit a mass shooting at a synagogue, according to a Concord Police Department news release. Following an investigation that began with a cyber-tip from the FBI, Concord resident Ross Farca, 23, was arrested Monday, June 10 on suspicion of making the threats and illegally possessing an assault rifle, police said Friday, June 14, in a news release.

The weekend prior to Farca's arrest, the Concord Police Department was notified that FBI investigators had traced threatening, anti-Semitic comments from the chatroom of an online gaming platform to an address in Concord, police said.

"The comments consisted of threats against Jewish people and to commit a mass shooting at a synagogue, threats to shoot law enforcement and claims to possess an assault rifle," police said. "There were no specific locations included in the threats."

Find out what's happening in Concordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Concord police detectives identified Farca as a suspect, with their investigation revealing that earlier this year, he legally purchased an incomplete AR-15 rifle frame, police said.

Upon obtaining arrest and search warrants Monday, June 10, for Farca and his house, the warrants were served.

Find out what's happening in Concordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Farca was arrested and his residence was searched, both without incident, police said.

"Inside his home, an illegal AR-15 semi-automatic rifle was found which had been constructed from the same legally purchased frame," police said. "Several high-capacity magazines were also found but no rifle ammunition was located. Additionally, detectives located Nazi literature, camouflage clothing and a sword."

As of Friday, Farca remained in custody at Contra Costa County jail, according to Concord police.

Charges filed against Farca by the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office include making criminal threats, possession of an illegal assault rifle and manufacturing an assault rifle, police said.

Further, Concord police detectives obtained an emergency Gun Violence Restraining Order against Farca to prevent him from legally purchasing firearms.

"At this time, law enforcement is only aware of the threats posted by Farca that led to the cyber-tip," Concord police officials said. "Although the investigation into Farca is ongoing by both Concord PD and the FBI, no detailed plans to commit acts of violence have been located. If anyone has information about this case, they are asked to contact Detective Greg Mahan at 925-603-5817. Those wishing to remain anonymous may leave a message on the tip line at 925-603-5836."

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.