Crime & Safety

Fire Last Week at Home Caused $150K in Damage, Cause Still Under Investigation

The fire started outside a home in the 2200 block of Sutter Avenue but expanded.

A large fire at a San Pablo home last week that is still being investigated caused an estimated $150,000 in damage, Contra Costa Fire Protection District officials said today. Fire Inspector George Laing said San Pablo police are following up with a person of interest in connection with the blaze, which was reported shortly after 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The fire started outside a home in the 2200 block of Sutter Avenue but expanded to the two-story residence’s interior, fire officials said. Though it was knocked down in around 20 minutes, the home was a total loss. Five residents were reportedly displaced after the fire. The American Red Cross was called to assist them.

Laing said Tuesday that drug paraphernalia, cigarettes, a heater and other items found at the scene may have caused the fire. Police are also interviewing a person of interest as part of the investigation, Laing said. It was not confirmed that the fire was being considered an arson.

Find out what's happening in El Cerritofor free with the latest updates from Patch.

By Bay City News

Photo via Shutterstock

Find out what's happening in El Cerritofor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from El Cerrito