Crime & Safety

Man Faces Charges in Connection with Threats to Muslims After Discovery of Explosives in Home

Police said a possible homemade explosive device was found at his home, prompting neighboring residents to be evacuated Sunday.

A Richmond man was charged today for making threats to Muslims after police found a possible explosive device in his possession and arrested him Sunday, according to Contra Costa County District Attorney’s officials.

William Celli, 55, pleaded not guilty in a Richmond courtroom to a charge of making a criminal threat with a hate crime enhancement as well as a charge that he attempted to violate the free exercise of civil rights, District Attorney Derek Butts said. Detectives on Sunday served a search warrant at Celli’s home in the 5100 block of McBryde Avenue after receiving a tip on Thursday that he may have manufactured explosive devices and planned to harm the community’s Muslims, police said.

Police said a possible homemade explosive device was found at his home, prompting neighboring residents to be evacuated at about 2 p.m. Sunday. A bomb squad then detonated the device and no one was harmed. Richmond Mayor Tom Butt said in a statement today that he “(commended) the Richmond Police Department for their work in stopping what could have been a tragic attack in our community.”

Find out what's happening in El Cerritofor free with the latest updates from Patch.

He said he was “very grateful” no one was hurt and that efforts will be supported to stop “any individual or group that seeks to terrorize or harm our residents.” Butt added, “Clearly, this threat had been influenced by the hateful and divisive rhetoric that is being used on a national level by presidential candidates.”

He was referencing Celli’s Facebook posts, in which he expresses support for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump and says he would follow Trump to “the end of the world.” Among other political tirades, Celli opined on Facebook that “Hispanics coming to my country under false pretenses ... need to go back home.”

Find out what's happening in El Cerritofor free with the latest updates from Patch.

He also spoke of an influx of Muslims to the U.S., saying, “Kiss your Christian asses goodbye. And all other non-believers of the Koran.”

The San Francisco Bay Area chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations has called for federal charges for Celli, as well as increased security at mosques and an overall rejection of anti-Muslim political rhetoric.

By Bay City News

Photo via Shutterstock

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from El Cerrito