Crime & Safety
Battery Allegations Against Assembly Candidate 'Unfounded'
Sheriff's deputies said after witness interviews and surveillance-video reviews, the allegations against Phil Graham did not hold up.

ENCINITAS, CA – A purported incident from a woman, who contacted San Diego County Sheriff's officials reporting alleged battery at an Encinitas bar by a California assembly candidate, was dismissed as unsubstantiated by investigators, deputies said.
On the afternoon of May 20, the female told law enforcement that she was the victim of alleged battery on May 14 sometime between 1 a.m. and 1:40 a.m. at First Street Bar in Encinitas.
"The victim said she had met a man, identified as California Assembly candidate Phil Graham, at the bar earlier in the evening, and that they had engaged in conversation," deputies said. "At some point during the evening, the reported victim alleged Mr. Graham had kissed her against her wishes and subsequently followed her outside the business.
Find out what's happening in Encinitasfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"Once outside, the reported victim stated Mr. Graham attempted to have her touch him in a sexual
manner against her wishes."
The next day, May 21, San Diego County Sheriff's Department sexual-assault detectives were assigned to the case, and after conducting an investigation, interviewing several witnesses and reviewing video surveillance from inside and outside of the business, detectives disproved the allegations made against Graham, authorities said.
Find out what's happening in Encinitasfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
As a result, this case is being closed as unfounded, pending any new or additional information, the department said.
Businessman and San Diego native Graham is running as a Republican for the 76th Assembly District seat. More information on his campaign is here.
--Shutterstock image
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.