This post was contributed by a community member. The views expressed here are the author's own.

Crime & Safety

89-Year-Old Woman Conned Out of $70K in Lottery Scam

Fraudsters claiming to represent the Australian Government Lottery told Hillsborough woman she'd won more than $18 million.

An 89-year-old woman in Hillsborough was defrauded out of $70,000 in an international lottery scam that was being operated out of Vancouver, Canada, police said Tuesday.

The woman had been called several times by two scam artists claiming to represent the Australian Government Lottery, according to Hillsborough police.

The woman was told that she had won more than $18 million, but in order to claim the winnings, she would be required to open a Swiss bank account with a minimum deposit of $120,000 to shelter the money, police said.

Find out what's happening in Foster Cityfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The victim wired $70,000 to a bank specified by the suspects, which was located in Vancouver, British Colombia.

Hillsborough police and Vancouver police worked with local banks and uncovered an "immense fraud operation" that reached far beyond the victim from the Bay Area, police said.

Find out what's happening in Foster Cityfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Vancouver police have arrested three suspects accused of running the scam operation, police said.

-- Bay City News

 

For more news about Foster City and surrounding areas,  and "like" us on Facebook. Sign up for our daily newsletter here.

Want to blog for us? Click here.

 

The views expressed in this post are the author's own. Want to post on Patch?

More from Foster City