Crime & Safety
Man Killed Moving Downed Power Line in San Mateo
The incident occurred Friday night on South Norfolk Street.

A man was killed after he attempted to move a downed power line in San Mateo on Friday night, a PG&E spokesman said.
The line came down at 6:34 p.m. at 1658 S. Norfolk St., PG&E spokesman J.D. Guidi said.
The man was driving by in a pickup truck, and he got out of the truck and attempted to move the power line out of the road, suffering major injuries in the process.
Find out what's happening in Foster Cityfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
He was transported to Stanford Medical Center where he died later Friday night, Guidi said.
"Our hearts and prayers go out to the victim and his family," Guidi said.
Find out what's happening in Foster Cityfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
According to the San Mateo Police Department, the man was a 55-year-old San Mateo resident.
The downed line caused 3,300 PG&E customers in San Mateo to lose power Friday night.
By 9:33 p.m., power had been restored to all but 73 of those customers, and their power was expected to be restored later Saturday morning.
What caused the line to come down remains under investigation, Guidi said. Investigations of this nature of incident are conducted by PG&E, with oversight by the California Public Utilities Commission and their Utilities Safety and Reliability Branch.
-- Bay City News
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.