Community Corner

Death of Highland Student Shines Light on Deadly Stretch of Figueroa

As students mourn the death of a 17-year-old boy killed by a city truck, many are calling for improvements to a problematic street.


The community is mourning and rallying around the family of a International Charter High School senior killed less than a week shy of his 18th birthday.

Andres Perez, a popular 17-year-old student, was killed by a city truck Tuesday while walking to school, not knowing that classes had been canceled due to a terrorist threat.

Find out what's happening in Highland Park-Mount Washingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

At a vigil Tuesday night, friends remembered Perez, an aspiring filmmaker slated to attend Cal State Los Angeles in the fall.

Perez was a popular student, a baseball player and skateboarder who leaves behind two siblings.

Find out what's happening in Highland Park-Mount Washingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“He was my best friend. He always made everybody laugh and smile. I just, I miss him,” Andre Mares told CBS. “ I didn’t want to believe it at first.”

Loved ones have established a Gofundme page to help cover Perez’s funeral costs. By 3 p.m. Wednesday, supporters had already given more than $4,000.

The Gofundme post notes, “His dream was to become a successful film director and to be able take care of his parents as they have always done their best for him. Andres was very involved at his Church, Victory Outreach El Sereno, and their prayers are giving the family strength. He leaves behind his parents Mariposa & Sal Perez, siblings Gizelle and Uriah Perez. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and many friends who are considered family who will greatly miss him. Our family is having a difficult time dealing with the loss of Andres and would greatly appreciate any donations.”

Andres was struck by a city truck at about 7:30 a.m. at Figueroa Street and Avenue 60 Tuesday. The driver told investigators he never saw Andres, who was killed instantly.

For many in the community Andres death was unacceptable. At a candlelight vigil, signs honoring his memory were interspersed with posters calling for safety measures to protect pedestrians along the dangerous stretch of roadway.

One sign read, “Not One More Death.”

Andres was at least the third person to die at the intersection.

According to The Los Angeles Times, 13 people were struck at the intersection between 2002-2013.

Nearby intersections aren’t much better.

According to the Times, that half mile stretch of Figueroa was responsible for 73 pedestrian accidents including four fatalities from 2002 to 2013.

The problem, said Los Angeles Police Officer Yamamoto, is speed.

Drivers, often talking on their cell phones, speed down this stretch of road, he said.

Many residents in the area are calling, for additional traffic safety measures including crosswalks, bike lanes, and crosswalk lights.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Highland Park-Mount Washington