Schools
New School District Superintendent Expected to Be Named Monday
The application period for the Santa Monica High School principal job concluded Friday. Interviews will take place later this month.

The Board of Education is expected to appoint a new superintendent for the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District at a special meeting Monday at the district office. The person, whose name has not been revealed, will begin the job July 1 as the replacement of Tim Cuneo, who announced last fall he would retire at the end of the school year.
The Board of Education recently interviewed candidates for the position. A few weeks ago, Board President José Escarce told the media the field had been narrowed to one candidate, and a background check and contract negotiation were all that remained in the process.
Board Vice President Ben Allen said Thursday at the board meeting in Malibu that the expected appointee will appear at Monday’s meeting and speak briefly after the board votes on the appointment. The session is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m.
Find out what's happening in Malibufor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Also on Thursday, Cuneo said the application period closes this week for the Santa Monica High School principal job. District staff will vet the applications to narrow the field. The remaining candidates will be interviewed May 20 by a panel consisting of Samohi students, parents and staff and district administrators. Follow-up interviews will take place with selected candidates the next day. A staff recommendation for an appointment is expected to go before the board June 2.
The new principal will replace Hugo Pedroza, who announced last month that he would step down at the end of the school year after five years on the job. Pedroza was hired as an assistant superintendent for another district.
Find out what's happening in Malibufor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.