Crime & Safety

Blaze Bernstein Murder: Newport Beach Man Will Stand Trial

The accused, a resident of Newport Beach will stand trial on hate crime charges, the OCDA has said. The arraignment will be held Sept. 15.

NEWPORT BEACH, CA —On Tuesday, a 21-year-old Newport Beach man was ordered to stand trial on a murder charge stemming from the January killing of a former high school classmate, Blaze Bernstein. Prosecutors have deemed that the brutal killing of Blaze Bernstein a hate crime because he was gay.

Samuel Lincoln Woodward is due back in court Sept. 17 for arraignment, according to court officials.

He is accused in the killing of Blaze Bernstein, a University of Pennsylvania pre-med student whose body was found in a shallow grave in Borrego Park in Lake Forest early in 2018.

Find out what's happening in Newport Beach-Corona Del Marfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Wooodward and Bernstein were classmates in High School at the Orange County School of the Arts in Santa Ana and reconnected over social media.

"We will prove that Woodward Killed Blaze because Blaze was gay," District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said at a press conference in August."

Find out what's happening in Newport Beach-Corona Del Marfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"The evidence was developed by examining Woodward's cell phone, laptop, social media and other digital evidence revealing the dark side of Woodward's thoughts and intentions."

Woodward's attorney, Ed Munoz, previously said he and his client's family were "deeply disappointed" that the complaint was amended to allege the defendant carried out the killing due to Bernstein's sexual orientation.

"This is a complex case and the motivations each of the principals brought with them to that fateful meeting are multi-layered and they're really complicated, so I guess from the narrow or selective view of the evidence this amended filing is not completely shocking," Munoz said on Aug. 2.

Woodward has been diagnosed with autism, Munoz said.

Blaze Bernstein Murder: Death Penalty Expansion Law Rejected

City News Service contributed to this report.

OCDA Photo

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.