Crime & Safety
North Hollywood Man Gets 26 to Life for Subway Murder
Angelo Correa stabbed a man to death on a Metro Red Line train in East Hollywood for looking at him, according to prosecutors.

LOS ANGELES, CA — A North Hollywood man was sentenced Monday to 26 years to life in prison for fatally stabbing a fellow passenger with a pocket knife on a Metro Red Line train in East Hollywood.
Angelo Correa, 27, was convicted Jan. 19 of first-degree murder for the Jan. 13, 2014, attack on Jose Velazco-Alvarado, who was stabbed once in the neck.
Velazco-Alvarado was taken off the train when it stopped at the Vermont Avenue/Sunset Boulevard station and rushed to a hospital, but didn't survive the knifing.
Find out what's happening in North Hollywood-Toluca Lakefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
One passenger identified Correa as the man she saw make a stabbing motion, and another passenger identified him as the man he saw lunging toward Velazco-Alvarado, said Deputy District Attorney Jacob Yim.
Others described Correa as acting aggressively on the subway platform and the train before the attack, according to Yim.
Find out what's happening in North Hollywood-Toluca Lakefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The prosecutor said the 34-year-old victim looked at Correa before being attacked, and there was no evidence that the two knew each other.
Correa was arrested by Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies four days later at his North Hollywood home, and has remained jailed since then.
City News Service; Photo: Shutterstock
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.