Crime & Safety

Woman Arrested In North Hollywood Arson Fires

A 35-year-old woman suspected of lighting several trees on fire and damaging nearby vehicles in North Hollywood is in custody: Breaking.

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA — A 35-year-old woman was facing charges Tuesday in connection with a series of arson fires in the North Hollywood area, authorities said.

Angela McWhirter was taken into custody on Oct. 23 on an outstanding warrant, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

"Officers recognized McWhirter from a crime bulletin previously distributed by LAFD arson investigators and she was taken into custody in the North Hollywood area," according to department spokesman Peter Sanders.

Find out what's happening in North Hollywood-Toluca Lakefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

She is suspected in a series of intentionally set tree fires that damaged multiple vehicles outside of North Hollywood buildings in the early morning hours of Oct. 19, Sanders said.

"Following her arrest ... arson investigators were notified and continued their investigation, which linked McWhirter to the October 19 fires," Sanders said.

Find out what's happening in North Hollywood-Toluca Lakefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The fires damaged seven vehicles and a number of trees, but injured no one, Sanders said.

McWhirter is facing three felony counts of arson, Sanders said.

City News Service; Photo: Shutterstock

More from North Hollywood-Toluca Lake