Crime & Safety

Man Stabbed In Fatal Costa Mesa Attack; Assailant At Large

A man was fatally stabbed and another was wounded in Costa Mesa, with the assailant behind the attacks still at large, police said.

A man was fatally stabbed and another was wounded in Costa Mesa, with the assailant behind the attacks still at large, police said Wednesday.
A man was fatally stabbed and another was wounded in Costa Mesa, with the assailant behind the attacks still at large, police said Wednesday. (Renee Schiavone/Patch)

COSTA MESA, CA — A man was fatally stabbed and another was wounded in Costa Mesa, with the assailant behind the attacks still at large, police said Wednesday.

Officers responded to a knife attack in the 1700 block of Placentia Avenue at about 11 p.m. Tuesday. A 22-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Authorities did not release the name of the victim.

Find out what's happening in Orange Countyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

While investigating the fatal stabbing, police found a 19-year-old man who had been attacked earlier at Placentia Avenue and Shalimar Drive. The second victim, who was taken to a hospital by family members, was believed to have been attacked by the same suspect.

Police suspect the attacks were gang-related.

Find out what's happening in Orange Countyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Anyone who may have helpful information for police was asked to call Detective Ramon Hernandez at 714-754-5097.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.