Crime & Safety

Search For Teen Who Disappeared While Swimming Suspended

The missing teen is believed to be a 15-year-old boy, but authorities have not confirmed this information.

HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA — A teenager who disappeared while swimming at Huntington Beach is still missing Tuesday as the Coast Guard suspended its search.

First responders received a call at around 9 p.m. Sunday about the missing swimmer and started a search with lifeguards in the water, on land and in the air with a helicopter from the Orange County Sheriff's Department, according to a previous Patch report.

The Coast Guard also joined the search, Huntington Beach Public Affairs Manager Jennifer Carey said. The unidentified teen is believed to be a 15-year-old boy, authorities said.

Find out what's happening in Orange Countyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

According to police, the teen had gone swimming with another person who got out of the water and realized the teen was missing. The location was near Lifeguard Tower 11, which is between Twin Dolphin and Huntington streets.

There were strong rip currents earlier in the day, police said.

Find out what's happening in Orange Countyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The Coast Guard suspended its search Monday at about 8 p.m.

"The decision to suspend an active search is never easy and is only made after exhaustive efforts to find the missing person," said Capt. Stacey Crecy, commanding officer of Coast Guard Sector Los Angeles-Long Beach.

"Our hearts ache for his family and friends."The search spanned from the Bolsa Chica Wetlands to Newport, with crews searching by air and sea for nearly 20 hours, covering approximately 105 square miles, according to the Coast Guard.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.