SAN DIEGO, CA — The county Board of Supervisors unanimously approved a $4.3 million bridge funding plan to cover developmental-related services, including speech and occupational therapy, for children.
The board voted 4-0 Tuesday in favor of the funding, which was proposed by board Chair Terra Lawson-Remer, who was absent from the meeting after giving birth to a girl that morning.
According to Lawson-Remer's office, the decision will prevent a roughly 38% funding cut to Healthy Development Services, a program that helps children from birth to age 5 with mild to moderate developmental or behavioral delays.
HDS is connected to the First 5 Commission of San Diego, which was established under Proposition 10 and uses state tobacco tax revenue to fund early childhood programs, according to the county. Revenue from the tobacco tax has been falling in recent years, leading to funding reductions for HDS and other programs.
Along with occupational and speech therapy, the HDS program helps families with assessments, behavioral services, care coordination, developmental screenings and parental support. More than 60% of children served are Medi-Cal eligible.
"Without early support, families may be forced to wait until a child falls further behind before receiving care," according to Lawson-Remer's office.
According to county officials, during the program's 20 years, HDS has served more than 352,800 children, their families and caregivers. Roughly 95% of children who complete developmental treatment through the program "show measurable improvement," they added.
"Without the funding, approximately 3,350 children and families would lose access to care during the most critical window of child development," according to Lawson-Remer's office.
In a statement, Lawson-Remer said the county was "taking action to make sure kids don't fall through the cracks while this stable, sustainable funding strategy goes into effect."
"This funding keeps thousands of children connected to care during the most important years of brain development, while we complete the transition to a stable long-term funding plan," she said. "Any parent who has worried their child is falling behind knows how scary it is to be told to wait. Healthy Development Services helps families get support early, before small delays become lifelong barriers."
During public comment, advocates said HDS is vital in helping children with developmental needs. Rick Richardson, president and CEO of Child Development Associates, said the funding was "a lifeline for children and families across our county."
"I have seen first-hand the transformative impact these services have," he added.
Supervisor Paloma Aguirre said she knows families struggling with child development needs. Support for HDS "is for me a no-brainer," she added.
The Tuesday vote -- with funding from the county's Tobacco Securitization Fund -- protects services through the new fiscal year, according to Lawson-Remer.
The board's decision is the second and final phase of a bridge funding strategy to prevent cuts for the 2026-27 fiscal year, as First 5 San Diego moves to a long-term fiscal plan, according to Lawson-Remer's office.
Last year, supervisors approved a $4.3 million transfer to prevent service cuts in the county's 2025-26 budget.
First 5 San Diego and the county's Child and Family Well-Being Department will form a $4 million partnership, starting in the 2027-28 fiscal year, according to Lawson-Remer's office.
Additional money will come from the Families First Prevention Services Act and Medi-Cal reimbursement, officials said.
By KAREN WEIL / City News Service
Sign up for free local newsletters and alerts for the
San Diego, CA Patch
Patch.com is the nationwide leader in hyperlocal news.
Visit Patch.com to find your town today.