Crime & Safety

Man Left For Dead In Shooting, Found On Peninsula Railroad Tracks

Police say the man is a transient who lives in a nearby marsh and that the suspect may also be a transient from the area. (breaking)

MENLO PARK, CA — Menlo Park officers searching for whomever shot a transient in town and left him for dead on nearby railroad tracks, police report. The shooting, which happened around 5:20 p.m. Wednesday, left the unidentified man fighting for his life in critical condition, as of the last police update on the case.

Police say they got a call of a person with abdominal bleeding on the decommissioned railroad tracks about 150 feet north of, and perpendicular to, University Avenue.

"The victim, a Hispanic male in his 30s had been shot several times, but was conscious," police said in a news release Wednesday. "He was immediately transported to Stanford Hospital and as of this time is still in surgery in critical condition."

Find out what's happening in San Carlosfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

His condition remained the same as of Thursday, according to The Mercury News.

The man told the officers he is a transient who lives in a marsh area near where he was shot and that the man who shot him may be another transit living in the area, police said. A possible motive was not provided by police.

Find out what's happening in San Carlosfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The officers searched for the suspect with the help of a California Highway Patrol airship and a drone from the Menlo Park Fire District.

Search teams visited several homeless encampments and interviewed suspects there, eventually releasing those suspects, according to police. The officers are continuing to follow up on leads in the case, police said.

— Bay City News Service contributed to this report / Patch file photo by Renee Schiavone

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from San Carlos