Community Corner
Protests Over Kurt Reinhold's Shooting In San Clemente, Arrests
A deputy-involved shooting led people to the streets where the killing occurred. At least five people were arrested, police say.
SAN CLEMENTE, CA — A protest in San Clemente turned unruly Thursday morning when activists tried to take over a street where a homeless man was shot by Orange County Sheriff's Department deputies, Wednesday.
About 40 to 50 protesters gathered in peaceful protest of the shooting of Kurt Andras Reinhold at 10 a.m.
Most acted "peacefully" though a handful stepped out into the road, Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said at a news conference Thursday afternoon.
Find out what's happening in San Clementefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Five protesters were arrested, said Orange County sheriff's Sgt. Dennis Breckner. Four, for disorderly conduct, and one vandalism arrest was made, according to reports.
"Those who refused to get out of the street were arrested," Barnes said, noting that one of the suspects "scratched a patrol car."
Find out what's happening in San Clementefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The day before, two homeless outreach deputies were in the area when "something prompted them to contact Reinhold outside San Clemente's Hotel Miramar at El Camino Real and Avenida San Gabriel.
Reinhold, most recently of Los Angeles, was shot and killed during the incident. Officers attempted CPR at the scene but were unable to revive Reinhold.
According to Barnes, Reinhold, a man experiencing homelessness had been in the area for about 30 days. Deputies had previously reached out to Reinhold, whose last known address was in Los Angeles, to try to help him get into a shelter, but he rebuffed the offers of help, the sheriff said.
The homeless outreach team includes three sergeants and 33 deputies, and they are all trained on de-escalating conflict and interacting with the mentally ill, Barnes said.
"I want to extend my condolences to Mr. Reinhold's family," he said. "We are truly sorry about what happened."
Barnes implored the media and the public to refrain from speculation and let the investigative process play out.
The Orange County District Attorney's Office will conduct the investigation, which is routine in deputy-involved incidents.
According to DA Todd Spitzer's office, the District Attorney’s investigation will determine whether any "criminal culpability on the part of the law enforcement officers involved" took place.
"These investigations can be very complex and can take several months for toxicology and other necessary tests to be completed and reviewed," Spitzer's office said. Once the investigation and legal review is completed, it is reviewed and ultimately approved by Spitzer.
The legal conclusions and any associated video will be posted on the Orange County District Attorney’s website at www.orangecountyda.org
Read also:
San Clemente Shooting Leaves 1 Dead, Homeless Outreach Involved
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.