Health & Fitness

First Death Reported In Outbreak At Live Oak Assisted Living Home

Updated: There have been a total of 28 deaths in Santa Cruz County.

More than 200 COVID-19 patients in Santa Cruz County required hospitalization.
More than 200 COVID-19 patients in Santa Cruz County required hospitalization. (Renee Schiavone/Patch)

LIVE OAK, CA — The first death has been reported in a COVID-19 outbreak at a Live Home assisted living facility, according to the county.

The Santa Cruz Sentinel first reported the news.

The Maple House II resident was a white woman in her mid-90s who had another significant health condition, said Corinne Hyland, spokesperson for the county Health Services Agency. As of Monday, 14 residents and 11 staff members had tested positive for COVID-19.

Find out what's happening in Santa Cruzfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The outbreak at Maple House II is the second outbreak at a Santa Cruz County facility. An outbreak at skilled nursing facility Watsonville Post Acute sickened 50 residents and 21 staff, and resulted in 15 deaths, county Health Officer Gail Newel previously said.

As of Tuesday, Santa Cruz County reported 4,092 cases of COVID-19, including 913 active cases. There have been a total of 28 associated deaths in the county.

Find out what's happening in Santa Cruzfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Watsonville remains the most-affected area, as 2,253 of the county's COVID-19 cases have been reported there.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.