Crime & Safety

Burst Water Main Knocks Out Water Service to 900 Homes

Monday night's water main rupture at Woodman Avenue left 900 without service and forced the overnight closure of the road.

The rupture of an 8-inch water main in Sherman Oaks threatened to flood underground parking structures, knocked out service to as many as 900 dwellings and shut down a section of Woodman Avenue overnight, authorities said.

The flooding was reported in the 4400 block of Woodman Avenue near Moorpark Street at 5:09 p.m., Erik Scott of the Los Angeles Fire Department said.

The water, which flowed down both sides of the street, neared curb tops but did not enter any structures and no property damage was reported, he said.

Find out what's happening in Sherman Oaksfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Firefighters used water-filled 4-inch hoses as containment booms to keep the water from entering buildings or underground garages through driveways, Scott said. Woodman Avenue was expected to remain closed overnight between Milbank and Moorpark streets, he said.

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power reported about 6:15 p.m. that the flow of water had been cut off and crews would begin repairs.

Find out what's happening in Sherman Oaksfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Some residents were unable to drive their vehicles from underground parking structures “due to unsafe street buckling,” Scott said.

Scott said two fire hydrants were also out of service.

There was no estimate of how long repairs would take, Kim Hughes of the DWP said. Scott said DWP crews called in heavy equipment.

City News Service

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Sherman Oaks