Crime & Safety
Jury Finds Man Guilty in Strangling Death of Retired Hollywood High Teacher
A jury took three hours to convict Scott Kratlian, who had recently been released from a 20-year murder sentence at the time of the killing.

A former prison inmate was convicted today of strangling a retired Hollywood High School teacher, who had begun corresponding with the defendant while he was behind bars for killing a man in New York.
The Los Angeles Superior Court jury deliberated about three hours before finding Scott Kratlian, 46, guilty of the Feb. 10, 2014, killing of Harry Major, an 82-year-old former English instructor.
The victim’s body was found in a bathtub at his apartment in the 1400 block of North Vista Street in the Hollywood area.
Find out what's happening in West Hollywoodfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Deputy District Attorney Tony Cho told jurors that Salvatorre Caggiano -- the 66-year-old man Kratlian admitted killing in New York in 1992 -- was killed “in almost the same way” and both victims were left naked or nearly naked in a bathroom.
The victim in New York was about 40 years older than Kratlian -- about the same age difference between Major and Kratlian, the prosecutor said.
Find out what's happening in West Hollywoodfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“He targets older men that are about 40 years older than he is,” Cho told jurors.
The prosecutor said the two cases were “incredibly consistent” and “basically unique.”
“It’s almost like the defendant’s signature,” he said.
Major and Kratlian engaged in sexual relations after Kratlian arrived in Los Angeles, and things went “sour” after a fight between the defendant and another man who was visiting Major, Cho said.
The prosecutor said there was a “very clear picture” of the defendant walking out of a 7-Eleven store, where $200 had been withdrawn via Major’s credit card from an ATM on Feb. 10, 2014, and that $100 was withdrawn at a liquor store a few minutes earlier. Numerous other attempts were also made to withdraw money, Cho told jurors.
Kratlian -- who was arrested eight days after the killing -- admitted to police that he had been involved in a physical altercation with Major on Feb. 10, 2014, according to the prosecutor.
“He basically admits to everything short of killing Mr. Major and taking his credit card and using it,” Cho told the panel.
Defense attorney Angela Cheung contended that investigators stopped probing Major’s killing once they learned that Kratlian had pleaded guilty to manslaughter in New York.
Kratlian’s lawyer conceded that her client had used Major’s credit card. “But does that make him the killer of Mr. Harry Major?” she asked jurors.
She questioned why Kratlian would return to the scene of the crime after using the credit card if he was the person who killed Major.
Cheung told jurors that surveillance video showed Kratlian “walking, not running, not looking over his shoulder,” saying those were “not the actions of someone who just murdered Mr. Harry Major in cold blood.”
She said a small amount of blood belonging to Major that was later found on one of Kratlian’s shoes was consistent with the “minor struggle” described by her client.
The defense attorney argued the prosecution’s case centered on circumstance evidence.
Kratlian -- who has been jailed since his arrest last year -- faces a potential life prison term with the possibility of parole. Sentencing is set for Nov. 18.
City News Service; Photo: Shutterstock
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.