Crime & Safety
Police, Mayor, Debunk Claims of Danbury Mall Human Trafficking
The police said there are no grounds for what Mayor Boughton termed the "hysteria" on social media.
DANBURY, CT — Police have debunked a social media scare claiming that the Danbury Fair Mall was the site of one or more incidents of recent human trafficking, and that the kidnappings had been confirmed by both the Danbury Police and mall officials.
"There is no validity to these allegations at this time," said Det. Lt. Mark Williams.
Williams said he was aware of one complaint of a "suspicious male who was allegedly following a group of youths in the mall," but that both the Danbury Police and mall security had investigated and concluded there was "no criminal aspect."
Find out what's happening in Across Connecticutfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The suspect, described on Twitter as "very large" and in his 50s, with "skull rings on his fingers" and following a group of youths in the mall, had no criminal history, according to Williams.
Even Mayor Mark Boughton got looped into what he described as "the hysteria" on social media Monday, admonishing users of the micro-blogging platform to "not get your news from Facebook." (see below)
Find out what's happening in Across Connecticutfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Williams took the opportunity and the Department's own Facebook page to encourage residents to follow these crime prevention tips to avoid becoming victims:
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times and trust your instincts. If you think you are in an area you should not be, you probably are
- Walk in well-lit areas avoiding short cuts through alleys and parking lots
- Keep purses and packages tucked securely between your arms and body
- Vary your route while jogging/walking and/or go with a friend
- If you are being followed, change directions, cross the street, go into public buildings, call the Police Department
- Carry some type of noisemaker (i.e. whistle) to deter an attacker and attract the public’s attention.
I have no idea regarding a man. That's way to vague. But, nobody has been abducted. This is a Facebook post that's caused a hysteria. Always be vigilant with your children. Don't get your news from Facebook. https://t.co/8hEpjX5asL
— Mayor Mark Boughton (@MayorMark) January 6, 2020
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.