Business & Tech
Harper's Opening Notes Set to Play Thursday
The Post Road bistro replaces Centro Ristorante and Bar.
Thursday isn't shaping up so well for local Italophiles: just hours after the Azzurri's ignominious elimination from World Cup contention, the site of the former Centro Ristorante & Bar is set to complete its transformation into an American bistro.
But for anyone left curious—or nostalgic—by the "Harper's" sign affixed to the building, it marks the first opportunity to grab a beer and a bite to eat at the new tavern.
Harper's Restaurant and Bar, located at 391 Post Road, opens its doors to the public Thursday at 4 p.m., reviving a brand not seen in Darien since its 1980s-era incarnation.
Find out what's happening in Darienfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
With "a high quality, affordable menu" featuring "steaks, salads, fresh fish, and a very relaxed atmosphere," restauranteur Joseph Sandolo said Harper's represents a break from most of his other ventures.
"It will be nice, you know, for a relaxed crowd. Somewhere to hang out," Sandolo told Patch in March. "We're actually going to have a large wine list, and fantastic margaritas and martinis."
Find out what's happening in Darienfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Sandolo's portfolio includes four other restaurants in Stamford and Greenwich: John the Baker, Luigi's, MacKenzies, and Bella Nonna.
Friends, family, and well-wishers got a glimpse of the renovated space Wednesday night at a pre-launch event. Partygoers sampled buffet food and gave the bar its first workout in a long while.
Gone is Centro's mishmash of intense colors. In their place: scarlet walls, white brick, and dark wood trim. Chandeliers and an engraved "Harper's" mirror behind the bar round out the new décor.
The site, built in the 1970s by Sandolo's father, Robert, was home to an earlier version Harper's in the 1980s. The brown and yellow sign now hanging from the eaves recalls the one that identified its predecessor.
After ur-Harper's closed, Centro moved in with its selection of Italian fare. But when the restaurant's lease expired last year, Sandolo moved forward with plans to open his own bistro at the site.
Harper's initial application for outdoor seating was turned down by the Planning & Zoning Department, but Sandolo said he plans to try again when things settle down.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.
