Schools

East Haven Schools Face Communication Criticism Over Last Week's Bomb Threat

Some parents expressed concerns about communication during a Board of Education meeting this week.

Some parents of students in the East Haven school system say they felt uncomfortable about the safety of their children after what they thought was a “lack of communication” from East Haven High School staff when an alleged bomb threat occurred on Oct. 5.

Lina Travers, whose daughter attends the school, shared some concerns at Tuesday’s Board of Education meeting.

“I just ask, if something comes up, that we are notified by ConnectEd, by an email immediately, so if our kids text us we’re prepared to calm them,” Travers said via the New Haven Register.

Find out what's happening in East Havenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Travers said that because social media and text messaging can cause panic through false rumors, the school should act more quickly to inform parents and not wait until the incident is over.

Ron DeNuzzo, the Board of Education’s vice chairman, said there are plans in place and parents should be confident regarding the safety of their children while at school. He said school administrators handled the situation appropriately.

Find out what's happening in East Havenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The full New Haven Register story can be read here.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.