Home & Garden
Governor: Roadwork Halted for Long Weekend
Due to anticipated heavy traffic, all non-emergency work on state highways and roads is suspended from Friday morning through Tuesday night.

Governor Dannel P. Malloy announced Thursday that all construction and paving activities on state roads and highways will be suspended over the coming Labor Day weekend - the unofficial end to the summer travel season and traditionally one of the busiest traffic weekends of the year - in order to prioritize the convenience of motorists and help ease congestion.
“Even though we’re moving full speed ahead to transform our state’s transportation system, Connecticut holiday travelers should not have to worry about additional delays because of roadwork this weekend,” Malloy said. “All construction activities on state roads and highways will be suspended beginning 6 a.m. on Friday, September 4, through 8 p.m. on Tuesday, September 8. Only work of an emergency nature will be performed during that period. We wish all those who are traveling over the weekend to be safe during this time.”
The Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) is on pace to resurface a record 340 two-lane miles of state roadways this construction season, with about 160 miles completed so far. The construction season typically runs from April 1 through November 30 each year.
Find out what's happening in Enfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Travelers are encouraged to visit the CTDOT website to check the travel information map and the traffic camera feeds before heading out.
As a prelude to Labor Day travel, state troopers patrolled the highways and roads in Connecticut last weekend. During this enforcement operation, troopers utilized both traditional and non-traditional patrol cars.
Find out what's happening in Enfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Troopers focused on drunken driving violations, aggressive drivers, distracted drivers and speeding. Sobriety checkpoints and targeted DUI patrols were in place over the entire weekend.
From Aug. 27 through Sept. 2, troopers made 44 DUI arrests and investigated 653 accidents, including one fatal and 83 with injuries.
State police issued 2,724 speeding tickets, 143 seatbelt violation tickets and 5,660 other moving violation tickets, including but not limited to texting, cell phone use and following too closely.
“There are dozens of great places to visit in Connecticut, and I encourage our citizens to plan ahead and drive safely,” the governor said.
Photo credit: Sid Sowder/Flickr Creative Commons
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.