Business & Tech

Fairfield To Expedite Permits For Restaurants 'Anxious To Open'

The question remains: How many Fairfield businesses shuttered due to the new coronavirus outbreak will open their doors again?

FAIRFIELD, CT — A haircut, a meal at a restaurant and a trip to the mall are looking more and more like things Connecticut residents will be able to experience again come May 20. But they won’t be the way customers remember.

While restaurants, hair salons, stores and select other organizations are set to reopen in less than two weeks following more than a month of state-ordered closure due to the new coronavirus outbreak, they will do so with new rules in place. The virus is associated with the deaths of roughly 3,000 Connecticut residents. Hospitalizations associated with the virus have been declining for weeks.

“We’re at a point now, how do we start the recovery process?” Fairfield Chamber of Commerce President Beverly Balaz said Thursday at a meeting of the town's Economic Development Commission held via teleconference. “Everyone’s just so anxious to open their doors right now.”

Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

When they reopen, retailers, salons and restaurants will be limited to 50 percent capacity. Only salon services involving hairdressing and eyebrows will be allowed, as other procedures could require face mask removal. Blow drying won’t be permitted either. Restaurants will be limited to outdoor dining.

In Fairfield, town officials have been directed to expedite permitting for restaurants seeking to expand their outdoor facilities or start offering service outside.

Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“We’re attempting to ease the regulatory burden,” said Mark Barnhart, director of the Office of Community and Economic Development. “… We’ll do all we can at the local level.”

Restaurants looking to include liquor service in their outdoor expansions will need additional approvals.

Another challenge businesses may face is how to source protective equipment, according to Barnhart, who said the town is hoping to make some bulk equipment purchases. First Selectwoman Brenda Kupchick has formed a task force focused on restarting the economy and the town health department is also involved in plans to reopen businesses.

But the question remains: How many businesses shuttered due to the outbreak will open their doors again?

The town and chamber partnered to conduct a survey of about 40 percent of Fairfield businesses, Barnhart said. Of the respondents, 37 percent were concerned their business may be forced to close but less than 2 percent had already closed permanently. Almost all respondents — 94 percent — reported some business loss in connection with the virus and 67 percent reported no sales or slower sales.

Vacant retail space increased in the last month in Fairfield to 16 percent, according to Barnhart, who added the town expects to receive $300,000 in supplemental funding through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, which could be used to assist small businesses. As of Thursday, the town was anticipating further guidance from the governor’s office on how businesses should safely operate and when businesses not set to open May 20 may be able to reopen.

“It does look like we’re going to be in this new reality for some time,” Barnhart said.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.