Crime & Safety

Fairfield Man Accused Of Sending Threatening Emails: Westport PD

Police said the alleged incident stemmed from a business dispute.

WESTPORT, CT — Police said a Fairfield man was charged with harassment and threatening after he was accused of sending over 50 emails to someone he was having business dispute with. Police said 21 of the emails were allegedly sent in one day.

According to a news release, police said the victim reported on Aug. 27 he was being harassed by John Colavito, 58, over a business dispute involving an annuity. Police said the accused and the victim had a meeting in July regarding the issue, and the victim reported to have received multiple emails and text messages from the accused since then.

"Colavito was found to have emailed the victim 54 times between [July 18] and [Aug. 21], 21 of which were sent in one day," Lieutenant Jillian Cabana said in a release. "Some of the emails were found to be threatening in nature. The investigating officer submitted an arrest warrant application for Colavito, which was later approved."

Police said the accused turned himself in at police headquarters on the active arrest warrant Thursday. He was charged with threatening and second-degree harassment, police said.

To sign up for Fairfield breaking news alerts and more, click here.

Support These Local Businesses

+ List My Business

Photo credit: Shutterstock

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.