Schools

Former Fairfield Priests Accused Of Sexual Abuse In New List

More than a dozen former priests with connections to Fairfield Prep and Fairfield University were among the 50 named in a new list Tuesday.

FAIRFIELD, CT — Of the 50 former priests accused of sexually abusing minors in a new list released on Tuesday, 13 previously worked at Fairfield University and Fairfield Prep. The USA Northeast Province released the names of priests, living and dead, who had a credible allegation of abuse against a minor or vulnerable adult since 1950. The USA Northeast Province was formed in 2014 and includes the members of the former Buffalo (1960s), New England, and New York Provinces, according to the society. The Northeast Province includes the states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, and northern New Jersey.

“An allegation is deemed ‘credible’ if there is a preponderance of evidence that the allegation is more likely true than not after investigation,” according to the society. “Credibility can also be established by conviction in a court or by the admission of the truth of the allegation by the Jesuit. Many Jesuits on this list have not been found guilty of a crime or liable for any civil claim. Many accusations were made decades after the abuse allegedly took place, and often after the accused Jesuit had died. Jesuits with allegations currently under investigation are not included on this list.”

Those named in the list with Fairfield connections include William Cullen, who worked at both Fairfield Prep and Fairfield University, and George McCabe, who worked at Fairfield University. McCabe also worked retreats in Ridgefield, according to the society.

Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The following priests named in the list worked at Fairfield Prep: William Cahill, Robert Cornigans, Joseph Dooley, Francis Ennis, Joseph Laughlin, Philip Moriarity, Eugene O'Brien, Leo Pollard, Edmund Power, James Pratt and James Sheehan.

Of those accused, Fairfield University officials said that there are no records or accusations at this time of sexual abuse occurring while they were on campus, according to the Connecticut Post.

Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The Post reports O’Brien, who was principal at Fairfield Prep from 1983-85, admitted to allegations of abuse stemming back to the 1960s. School officials told the Post they have no record of accusation of sexual abuse during the time O’Brien was on the Fairfield Prep campus.

In releasing the names, Rev. John J. Cecero, provincial for the USA Northeast Province, said he is hoping to “contribute to healing from the pain and anger caused by clergy sex abuse and the lack of accountability and transparency on the part of church leadership.”

“At the heart of this crisis is the painful, sinful and illegal harm done to children by those whom they should have been able to trust,” Cecero wrote in a letter while releasing the names. “We did not know any best practices to handle these violations many decades ago and regrettably made mistakes along the way. What winds up being a very shameful history for the Church at large was made clear by investigative reporting in Boston in 2002. It was the subsequent Dallas Charter that was accepted by the US Bishops that allowed us to codify and implement best practices. Under the watchful eye of our accreditation agency, Praesidium, Inc., we have implemented these best practices for more than fifteen years and can be grateful, although no less vigilant, that there have been no new cases of abuse of minors or vulnerable adults in the Northeast Province.

“Changed practices do not erase past history. The list I publish today notes criminal and sinful failures in the pastoral care of children. The majority of these allegations were made years or even decades after abuse occurred. This list includes any allegations where the offense was admitted by a Jesuit, or where it was established as credible after an investigation. Any living Jesuit with a credible allegation of abuse is removed from ministry and assigned to a community that does not serve minors where he lives under a closely monitored safety plan. Any case of abuse is shocking and a profound failure. Jesuits who have offended can no longer offend. Safeguards put in place since 2002 help create safe environments for everyone.

“On behalf of all of the Jesuits of the USA Northeast Province, I apologize for any of our brothers who have committed crimes of abuse and pledge to work to provide safe environments for all to whom we minister and to offer support and possibilities for healing to victims. I urge anyone who has experienced abuse by a Jesuit to contact Kristin Austin, our Victim Assistance Coordinator at 443-370-6357 or UNEadvocacy@jesuits.org. She will offer both compassion and confidentiality.”

The full list of priests accused of abuse can be found here.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.