Crime & Safety
Man Charged With Sexually Assaulting 9-Year-Old In Southport
The girl was visiting a grandparent at a nursing home in Southport when the incident occurred, according to police.

FAIRFIELD, CT — Police arrested a man Thursday after he was accused of sexually assaulting a 9-year-old on Christmas Eve, according to police and the Connecticut Post.
Dino Carlo Gioia was charged with sexual assault, risk of injury to a minor, unlawful restraint and breach of peace after he turned himself in on an arrest warrant, according to a news release from Fairfield police.
About 5 p.m. Dec. 24, the girl's parent told staff at Regal Care at Southport that Gioia inappropriately touched the child, who was visiting a grandparent, the news release said.
Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Officers had been called to Regal Care at Southport several times regarding Gioia, 77, who had resided in the nursing home a month and was accused of touching dementia patients in a sexual manner, exposing himself and threatening to rape a patient, the Connecticut Post reported.
Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.