Crime & Safety
SHU Student Accused Of Posting Nude Photo Seeks Dismissal Program
Under the program, the charges against the former Sacred Heart student, accused of posting a nude photo on Snapchat, could be dismissed.

FAIRFIELD, CT — A former Sacred Heart University student accused of sharing a nude photo of a fellow student online applied earlier this week for accelerated rehabilitation, according to the Connecticut Post.
Nicholas Otto-Bernstein, 20, of New York City, turned himself in Jan. 10 after the victim told police that Otto-Bernstein in October had nonconsensual sex with her while she was intoxicated and circulated the photo, taken without her consent, on Snapchat, Bridgeport police said.
Investigators determined Otto-Bernstein took the photo and shared it with other students, but did not have probable cause to charge him with sexual assault, according to police. Otto-Bernstein, who the Connecticut Post reported has since withdrawn from the university, was charged with voyeurism, unlawful dissemination of an intimate image and dissemination of voyeuristic material, police said.
Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Accelerated rehabilitation is an up to two-year pretrial court supervision program, which, if completed successfully, results in a dismissal of charges, according to court documents. When a defendant applies for accelerated rehabilitation, the court file is sealed. Before a decision is reached about whether Otto-Bernstein can participate in the program, the victim will have a chance to give her opinion.
Otto-Bernstein's next court date is April 3, court records said.
Find out what's happening in Fairfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.