Crime & Safety

2 NY Men Charged In Connection With Greenwich Car Burglaries: PD

The two were arrested in separate incidents last week.

GREENWICH, CT — Two New Rochelle, New York, men were arrested by Greenwich police on larceny and criminal trespass charges in the past few days after authorities said they were involved in separate vehicle break-ins.

In the first case, 57-year-old Thomas Haywood, of Chatsworth Place, was spotted breaking into a vehicle on Sylvan Lane in Old Greenwich just before 9 p.m. on July 23.

Greenwich police said Haywood had taken a wallet out of a parked vehicle, and the vehicle's owner detained Haywood as he attempted to flee. How the owner detained Haywood until police arrived was not disclosed.

Find out what's happening in Greenwichfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Haywood was taken into police custody and charged with first-degree criminal trespass and sixth-degree larceny. He was released after posting a $500 bond, and is scheduled to appear in Stamford Superior Court on Aug. 7.

In the second case, 20-year-old Peter R. Eichie, of Webster Avenue, was caught on Walsh Lane in Belle Haven early Sunday after he and two other people were seen breaking into vehicles in the area. The other two people were not apprehended.

Find out what's happening in Greenwichfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Officers were called to the area at about 3 a.m. after a witnesses saw the three — all wearing hoodies and masks — in the area.

"This area has been a target for motor vehicle thefts recently," police said.

Upon arrival, officers found several vehicles with their doors ajar and glove compartments "rummaged through," according to police.

The officers searched the area and apprehended Eichie, who had $96.33 in bills and a "large amount of US coins" in his possession. Officers also found sunglasses, a cell phone case and a small coin purse in Eichie's possession.

Eichie was charged with second-degree criminal trespass, third-degree burglary and sixth-degree larceny. He was held in lieu of bail of $5,000 and is scheduled to appear in Stamford Superior Court on Aug. 10.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.