Crime & Safety
Viral Social Media Challenge Leads To Stolen Cars, Arrest Of Teen: Greenwich Police
Greenwich police officers were busy Wednesday night into Thursday responding to reports of stolen cars related to the viral "Kia Challenge."

GREENWICH, CT — A viral social media challenge popular among young kids involving Hyundai-manufactured cars led to stolen vehicles, a fight with local residents and the arrest of a teenager in Greenwich on Wednesday night, according to police.
At 11:30 p.m. on June 28, Greenwich police officers responded to Oak Ridge Street on a report of two people entering parked cars, police said in a news release.
When they arrived, officers found that a fight had broken out between the two suspects and several residents, police said.
Find out what's happening in Greenwichfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
A 17-year-old Norwalk resident was taken into custody and later referred to juvenile court on the charges of criminal attempt at second-degree robbery; criminal attempt at second-degree larceny; conspiracy to commit second-degree larceny; first-degree criminal trover; first-degree criminal mischief; and possession of burglar tools.
The other suspect fled the area, police said. Two residents suffered non-life threatening injuries and were treated at an area hospital.
Find out what's happening in Greenwichfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Police said they discovered two damaged vehicles on Oak Ridge Street — a 2011 Kia Optima and a 2020 Hyundai.
Police noted that both vehicles were registered locally and had damage consistent with the "Kia Challenge," a social media trend that has gained popularity among young users on platforms like YouTube, Instagram and especially TikTok.
According to Vox, Hyundai Motors, which manufactures Kia and Hyundai vehicles, did not install a theft prevention mechanism called an immobilizer in certain makes and models, beginning in 2011.
Cars without these immobilizers are easy targets since thieves can bypass the ignition system with a USB cable to start the engine, Vox reported, noting that thefts of these vehicles can occur within seconds.
Thieves often record videos of themselves participating in the Kia Challenge which then go viral online.
About an hour after the discovery of the two damaged cars, police said they located a 2011 Kia Optima parked in the Horseneck municipal lot. This car also had damage consistent with the Kia Challenge and had been reported stolen from Norwalk.
At about 4 a.m. Thursday, police responded to Midwood Road and Deer Park on a report of an abandoned vehicle running on the road.
Police recovered a 2021 Kia Sportage with Kia Challenge-type damage to it, police said, adding that the car had not yet been reported stolen and the police were following up with its owner.
At 5:45 a.m., police said they found a 2017 Hyundai Sonata from Stamford on North Water Street with similar damage that pointed to the Kia Challenge. The car had not yet been reported stolen.
Then at 6 a.m., police responded back to Deer Park on a report of a 2021 Mercedes Benz stolen from the driveway overnight, the GPD said.
Residents are being urged to call 911 immediately if they witness a crime in progress. The GPD is also advising residents to protect their property by locking their cars and taking their valuables and keys with them.
Those with older model Hyundais and Kias should use other anti-theft devices such as alarms or devices such as "The Club," police said.
Read more from Vox on the Kia Challenge
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.