Crime & Safety
Man Accused Of Threatening With A Gun: Guilford Police
A man was arrested after police said he threatened people with a gun inside a home in Guilford early Friday morning.
GUILFORD, CT — A man is accused of threatening people with a gun inside a home in Guilford early Friday morning, according to police.
Police responded to a home on Russo Drive around 2:20 a.m. on the report of threatening involving a gun.
Police were told that John Mulligan, 67, of Guilford, had made threatening statements to people inside the home and had possibly discharged a gun, according to Guilford Deputy Police Chief Salvatore J. Nesci.
Find out what's happening in Guilfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Officers were also told that Mulligan was inside the home with the female homeowner.
“On arrival, members of the Guilford Police Department secured the perimeter and later established contact with the homeowner,” Nesci wrote in a news release. “After several conversations with the homeowner, members of the Guilford Police Department were able to safely escort her from the residence. Shortly thereafter, Mulligan came to the front door and was subsequently taken into custody without incident.”
Find out what's happening in Guilfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Nesci said Mulligan was found to be in the possession of 21 live rounds of ammunition. The homeowner also assisted police with finding a loaded gun that was believed to be Mulligan’s inside the home, according to Nesci.
Mulligan was arrested on charges of criminal possession of a pistol/revolver, disorderly conduct, and second-degree threatening. He was held in lieu of a $100,000 bond.
Nesci said a search of the home did not reveal any evidence that a firearm had been discharged.
“This was an isolated incident and at no time was there any danger to the public,” Nesci wrote in the news release. “The Guilford Police Department is very proud of the professional response by our personnel and the conscious efforts that were made to ensure that this incident was resolved in a peaceful manner.”
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.