Crime & Safety
Man Accused Of Leaving Newborn On Hood Of Car In Mansfield Charged
A man accused of abandoning a baby on the side of a road in Mansfield is now facing charges, state police said.

MANSFIELD, CT — A Hartford man already a defendant in a sexual assault case has been charged in connection with a newborn baby being left on the hood of a car in Mansfield in March, state police said.
Jorge Grados was arrested on a warrant Tuesday and charged with intentional cruelty to persons and risk of injury to a child.
The case dates back to March 23. At 2:17 p.m. that day, state police at the Troop C barracks received a 911 call regarding an infant had been wrapped in a towel and left on the hood of her parked vehicle on Pleasant Valley Road, according to a warrant. The owner of the car had parked on the side of the road and went into a field to take pictures, only to return and find the infant, according to a warrant.
Find out what's happening in Mansfield-Storrsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Witnesses reported that a man walked up to the car, uttering "I'm sorry," and leaving the baby," according to a warrant.
Lifesaving measures were performed by those at the scene at the scene and the baby was transported an area hospital for treatment by a paramedic, who was driving back to Windham Hospital from Mansfield and was flagged down by people waving their arms on the side of the road, state police said.
Find out what's happening in Mansfield-Storrsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
According to a warrant, the infant was determined to be a premature boy, weighing about 2 pounds. The boy was delivered within 24 to 48 hours of the incident, according to a warrant.
The Eastern District Major Crime squad assumed the investigation, which included several interviews and several items considered evidence, state police said.
After Grados was identified, a warrant was issued for his arrest, state police said. He is currently a defendant in a sexual assault case after being arrested in Manchester in April, according to a warrant. The charges in that case include two counts of first-degree sexual assault, three counts of second-degree sexual assault with the inability to consent, one count of fourth-degree sexual assault, and fire counts each of risk of injury to a child and illegal sexual contact.
Grados, identified in case records as the father of the child, told police the mother of the baby said she could not keep the baby due to where she lived and her "illegal status," according t0 a warrant.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.