Crime & Safety
Man Assaulted Couple With Frying Pan While They Slept: Meriden Police
The man, who police said also displayed a gun during the domestic incident, was accused of entering the apartment through a window.
MERIDEN, CT — A man is accused of assaulting a woman and her boyfriend with a frying pan while they were sleeping earlier this year in Meriden, according to police.
Police said Leonardo Castro, 29, was identified as the suspect in the domestic incident, which happened June 20. The victim told police that Castro entered her apartment through a window.
“While she was sleeping with her boyfriend, Castro began to assault her and her boyfriend with a frying pan,” police wrote in a news release. “During the assault, Castro also displayed a firearm, before fleeing the home.”
Find out what's happening in Meridenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Officers determined that Castro had an active arrest warrant for a previous domestic incident, according to police.
Police also learned there was a previously unreported incident where Castro was accused of firing a gun at the victim’s family member in the hallway outside the apartment, according to the news release.
Find out what's happening in Meridenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The round went through the apartment door and through several walls before becoming lodged in a wall, according to police.
Detectives assisted with the investigation and a warrant was issued for Castro on charges of criminal attempt at first-degree assault, criminal possession of a firearm and third-degree assault in connection with the previously unreported incident.
Castro was extradited back to Meriden on June 30 and charged with the two warrants, according to police.
Castro was arrested Tuesday on a warrant, while he was still in the custody of the Department of Corrections, in connection with the initial domestic incident, according to police.
He was charged with home invasion, second-degree assault, second-degree strangulation, criminal possession of a firearm and conspiracy to commit home invasion. He was being held in lieu of a $500,000 bond with a court date of Oct. 24, according to state judicial records.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.
