Crime & Safety

Assault Investigation Leads To Arrest Of Newtown Man: PD

The incident occurred on June 30, Newtown police said.

NEWTOWN, CT — A 34-year-old Newtown man was arrested on charges of second-degree assault, second-degree threatening and disorderly conduct in connection with an incident last month in Newtown, according to police.

Marcus Samuel Smith, of Mount Pleasant Road, was arrested on June 30, and as of Tuesday, he has been unable to post bond on bail of $50,000 and remains in custody.

Details of the incident were not disclosed, but police said the department began the investigation on the 30th after receiving "a complaint regarding threats being made towards another individual."

Find out what's happening in Newtownfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Smith's next court appearance in Danbury Superior Court is scheduled for Aug. 12.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.