Norwalk, CT
News Feed
Events
Local Businesses
Classifieds
Crime & Safety

Driver Accused Of Fleeing Area After Fatal Hit-And-Run Crash In Norwalk Arrested: Police

A man accused of fleeing the area after a fatal hit-and-run crash in Norwalk was recently arrested, according to police.

A man accused of fleeing the area after a fatal hit-and-run crash in Norwalk on Nov. 19, 2025, was arrested May 18, 2026, according to police. (Al Branch/Patch)

NORWALK, CT — A Bridgeport man accused of fleeing the area after a fatal hit-and-run crash in Norwalk last year was arrested this week, according to the Norwalk Police Department.

In a news release, Police Lt. Ramon Tejada said officers were called to the intersection of Van Buren and Bedford avenues on Nov. 19 after receiving reports of a pedestrian struck by a vehicle.

Subscribe

Officers determined the pedestrian had been struck by two separate vehicles, Tejada said.

According to Tejada, the incident was captured on a nearby vehicle's dashboard camera, which showed the pedestrian crossing Van Buren Avenue in the crosswalk when he was struck by a vehicle that failed to stop for a red traffic signal while turning left from Bedford Avenue onto Van Buren Avenue.

Tejada said the driver failed to stop and fled the area following the crash.

According to Tejada, a second vehicle traveling on Van Buren Avenue struck the pedestrian because the driver was unable to see the pedestrian lying on the road.

The driver of the second vehicle immediately stopped and rendered aid, Tejada said.

The pedestrian was taken to a hospital, where he later died due to his injuries, according to Tejada.

According to Tejada, police obtained an arrest warrant for the driver of the vehicle that fled the area following a thorough investigation by the department's Accident Reconstruction Team.

Tejada said Edwin Francisco-Bonilla, 30, of Bridgeport, was arrested Monday.

He was charged with evading responsibility resulting in death, misconduct with a motor vehicle, failure to obey a traffic control signal, operator of a motor vehicle fails to exercise reasonable care near a vulnerable user, use of a cell phone, operating a motor vehicle with a suspended registration and operating with unsafe tires.

His bond was set at $100,000 and he is scheduled to appear in court next month, according to Tejada.

More from Norwalk, CT
News | 2h
News | 9h
See more on Patch >

Sign up for free local newsletters and alerts for the
Norwalk, CT Patch

Patch.com is the nationwide leader in hyperlocal news.
Visit Patch.com to find your town today.

©2026 Patch Media. All Rights Reserved

Do Not Sell My Personal Information