Crime & Safety
Norwalk Police Join Distracted Driving Campaign
Norwalk police said officers will be cracking down on motorists who text, talk or distract themselves with a phone while driving.

NORWALK, CT — The Norwalk Police Department, along with the Connecticut Department of Transportation’s Highway Safety Office, announced this week the continuation of the “U DRIVE. U TEXT. U PAY.” campaign.
According to a news release, officers will be cracking down on motorists who text, talk, or distract themselves with a hand-held mobile phone while driving.
“Texting and driving is a public safety crisis. Our mission is to save lives and protect the public. Enforcing texting and driving laws is a critical priority for our department,” Lieutenant Terrence Blake said in a release. “Starting August 1, the community will see an increased and highly visible law enforcement presence on our roadways with a focus on safety. Our officers will be stopping and ticketing anyone who is endangering the public due to texting and driving. If you text and drive, you will pay.”
Find out what's happening in Norwalkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
During the first wave of this campaign, in April 2018, more than 10,000 citations were issued to motorists who chose to ignore Connecticut’s distracted driving laws. The second run of this two-part campaign will go from Aug. 1-15.
Throughout the campaign, the Norwalk Police Department will mobilize by adding special patrols aimed at catching distracted drivers – especially those on their phones.
Find out what's happening in Norwalkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Over 50 law enforcement agencies, including both state and local police, who were previously involved in the April 2018 campaign, will again be participating.
The special patrols that will be running during this campaign are funded by Connecticut’s special distracted driving prevention funds. Connecticut qualifies for this federal funding source through a mix of tough laws and a proven track record in strong enforcement of distracted driving laws.
Over $9.1 million has been awarded to the state over the last three years specifically to fund campaigns like this one.
Under Connecticut’s cell phone and texting law, violations involve heavy fines, ranging from $150 for a first offense, $300 for a second violation, and $500 for each subsequent violation.
In 2016, there were 3,450 distracted driving related deaths and in 2015 an estimated 391,000 were injured in distracted driving motor vehicle crashes nationally. For more information about national distracted driving issues, visit www.distraction.gov.
To sign up for Norwalk breaking news alerts and more, click here.
Photo credit: Shutterstock
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.