Politics & Government
Norwalk Scraps Latest Firefighter Entry Exam Due To Cheating
The scandal led to the resignations of a Norwalk firefighter and his son, who was a city employee who was taking the test.

NORWALK, CT — The city announced Wednesday that it is scrapping the results of its most recent entry-level firefighter exam after officials learned that a Norwalk firefighter provided answers to his son, who was taking the test.
The firefighter in question has not been identified by officials, but he has resigned from the department. His son, who was a city employee seeking to become a firefighter, also has resigned.
City officials initially learned in June that there might be an integrity problem with the latest test when they were contacted by Industrial/Organizational Solutions, the company contracted to administer the exam.
Find out what's happening in Norwalkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Norwalk Mayor Harry Rilling "immediately hired outside counsel to investigate these allegations," officials said. Rilling received the investigative report on July 20, and discussed it with the Fire Commission in executive session on July 21.
"The report concluded that two members of the department might have disobeyed direct orders to recuse themselves from the testing process because their sons were taking the test," officials said. "It was also determined that one of those members might have supplied answers to his son."
Find out what's happening in Norwalkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
At first, the firefighter facing the more serious charges was placed on administrative leave pending a disciplinary hearing by the Fire Commission. Additionally, his son also was placed on administrative leave from his department pending a disciplinary hearing. Both father and son tendered their resignations prior to their disciplinary hearings.
"On August 11, the Fire Commission determined there was insufficient evidence that the remaining firefighter disobeyed the order to recuse himself from the process, and therefore they did not render any disciplinary action," officials said. "Additionally, the Fire Commission voted not to continue with the State Fire Consortium and not use the recent entry-level test results."
Added Rilling, "It was my recommendation, and my fellow Fire Commissioners agreed that we should no longer participate in the Consortium. This incident raised concerns about the testing program resulting in our decision to conduct our own entry-level exam in the future, which will ensure the test is fair and equal for all candidates. I am disappointed this happened in Norwalk, but thankfully, it appears to have been an isolated incident. The men and women of the Norwalk Fire Department have the highest integrity. I am proud of the work they do to protect our community."
Norwalk Fire Chief Gino Gatto also expressed his disappointment. The testing decisions marked the second time in as many weeks that the department has had to deal with a scandal. Last month Norwalk Fire Lt. Patrick St. Onge was suspended and re-assigned after he was accused of making anti-Semitic remarks to a Jewish firefighter and others.
"The Norwalk Fire Department has the highest standards for its firefighters," Gatto said. "I am terribly disappointed that those standards have not been met. This incident does not reflect the overall character, values, and integrity of the Norwalk Fire Department. The men and women of this department proudly serve the Norwalk community with distinction and honor."
Norwalk is part of the State of Connecticut Firefighter Testing Consortium, and these decisions only impact the Norwalk Fire Department, officials said. The decisions were made following a four-week investigation by outside legal counsel with no previous affiliation with the city or the fire department.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.