Crime & Safety

Cell Phone Use Enforcement Campaign Continues in Southington

The tickets have been piling up during the patrols.

SOUTHINGTON, CT — Southington police wrote out 15 tickets for cell phone use in a vehicle on one day last week, according to arrest and citation log records.

It was on Aug. 6 and it was part of the next wave of the “U Drive. U Text. U Pay” campaign designed to curb distracted driving related to cell phone use, police said.

The campaign runs until Aug. 16, police said. Local police are teaming up with the Connecticut Department of Transportation’s Highway Safety Office for the initiative.

Find out what's happening in Southingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The last operation, which took place during April, resulted in more than 12,000 citations.

Find out what's happening in Southingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.