Politics & Government
Controversial Housing Project Plans Withdrawn In Southington
The applicants, however, plan to come back to the planning and zoning board with a smaller, scaled-back subdivision.
SOUTHINGTON, CT — After months of delays and hours of public hearing testimony, plans for a controversial, 18-lot residential subdivision town have been withdrawn.
But the applicant plans to come back to Southington with a revised, smaller 12-lot proposal.
With the public hearing for the project still open, the PZC Jan. 16 said the prior applications had been withdrawn.
Find out what's happening in Southingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
At issue were plans by Evergreen of Southington LLC, to build an 18-lot residential subdivision that would go on 567 Woodruff St., Southington.
This riled up neighbors, with many expressing concern more homes and more people living there would negatively impact everything from traffic safety to the property values of others.
Find out what's happening in Southingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Opponents also said the parcel of land, which formerly was the Evergreen Nursery retail garden center, should remain as an open space.
The PZC had two different applications from Evergreen for the project: one being a special permit for the site, which is zoned residential, and the other being a subdivision application.
Both applications were regular agenda items for the PZC for months
At the Jan. 2 PZC meeting, the applicants requested a 65-day extension to keep the hearing open to fine-tune its application and plans following public and zoning board testimony.
It would have taken the issue to the PZC's Feb. 20 regularly scheduled meeting. The PZC meets twice a month.
But the withdrawal earlier in January supersedes that.
According to Bohler Engineering Project Manager Chas Evans, representing the applicant, the 567 Woodruff St. project will now be a 12-lot subdivision.
In an e-mail to the town dated Jan. 11, Evans said a new application process would begin once the new plans are finalized.
"Thanks again for your continued coordination on this development and we look forward to submitting a new application in the near future," wrote Evans to the town.
For the full application withdrawal notification, click on this link.
From Jan. 8: 'Action Postponed On Controversial Southington Housing Subdivision'
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.