Business & Tech
Daycare Move, Expansion Shot Down By Southington PZC
The Southington PZC voted 7-0 last week to deny a plan for a daycare provider to move to a larger location, citing safety worries.
SOUTHINGTON, CT — Citing lingering concerns about the proposed site's traffic situation, local land-use officials shot down a proposal for a daycare provider to move to a new, expanded site in town.
In a 7-0 vote, the Southington Planning and Zoning Commission last week denied a special permit application request from "My Little Rascals" daycare to move from North Main Street to a site at 36 Queen St.
C6 LLC, with a listed address of 445 N. Main St., Southington, was looking to move the "My Little Rascals" daycare facility, citing both lease issues with the landlord and the desire to expand to a new, larger site.
Find out what's happening in Southingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Southington residents Savino and Mirka Melluzo of Rockward Drive are listed as the owners of the Queen Street property and would have leased to My Little Rascals Owner Matthew Pereira, who was on hand at the PZC's June 20 meeting.
After a lengthy public hearing going back-and-forth with Pereira, the PZC closed the hearing and, later in the meeting, voted to deny the application.
Find out what's happening in Southingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The reason, according to PZC members, are site concerns at the business-zoned location and whether it could safely accommodate traffic going in and out of the site.
Daycare providers have a regular flow of traffic coming in and out as parents drop off and pick up children daily.
The special permit was needed because the area is zoned for business use only and a daycare, otherwise, isn't allowed there.
For this particular location, PZC members had concerns with the site's ability to accommodate a daycare, concerns that were never alleviated.
"I think it was clearly stated. I think the traffic flow within this site for this particular application for this type of use, I think, is not appropriate or not adequate," said Southington PZC Vice Chairman Robert Salka. "With that, I would make a motion to deny."
Other PZC members agreed.
"I have empathy for the applicant trying to find a new spot. He did everything that was asked of him," PZC member Peter Santago said. "I don't think this is the right place for this and upon reflection of the data ... I think it gives us adequate reason for denial."
"I agree. I think there's internal traffic issues that are present here that I'm not sure are surmountable or easy to overcome," Southington PZC Chairman Robert Hammersley said.
Prior to the vote to deny the application, the PZC voted 6-1 to deny a regulation waiver that limits business zone developments to serving no more than 25 clients at a time.
The daycare provider sought the waiver because his operation was planned to serve 48 children. His current site serves 32.
A public hearing on the application was opened May 16 and continued to June 20 so the PZC could get additional information and get a few questions on the application answered.
The daycare was to occupy one of three buildings on the property, which were built for use as office and medical office space.
The new site would have been 2,880 square feet and also include a new playground area, according to Pereira.
Pereira said he needed to move his business, citing leasing issues with his current landlord, the increased capacity at the new site and the better playground site at the new location.
Hammersley said he encouraged the daycare to come back to the PZC with a new site because Southington needs daycare providers in town.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.