Crime & Safety

Southington Man Scammed By Faux YouTube Influencers: Report

The man and his hearing-impaired, 8-year-old son were left blindfolded in the middle of Target during a fake shopping spree TikTok video.

SOUTHINGTON, CT — A Southington man and his 8-year-old son appear to be victims of a TikTok prank where people pretend to be a social media influencer offering prizes to people in public and, then, flee.

That's exactly what happened recently at the Southington Target, according to WTNH Channel 8 earlier this week.

WTNH identified the victims as being Southington resident Theron Lyles and his son, 8-year-old Gabriel Lyles, who is hearing impaired.

Find out what's happening in Southingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

WTNH reports three people approached the father and son at Target claiming to work for a popular YouTuber "Mr. Beast," who issues challenges to members of the public in return for lucrative prizes.

But the trio of scammers didn't work for "Mr. Beast" and when they offered the father and son a cart full of items at Target as part of a 30-second shopping spree, they bolted after 10 seconds, WTNH reported.

Find out what's happening in Southingtonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The father told WTNH the scammers told him they were "chosen" because his son was hard of hearing.

The father went public with the situation, prompting the Southington Commission for Persons with Disabilities to give the duo a Target gift card, reported WTNH.

Meanwhile, WFSB Channel 3 is reporting Thursday morning that multiple social media influencers, including "Mr. Beast," have come to the assistance of the father and son.

In addition, WFSB reports another social media influencer, who may be behind the "prank" TikTok craze, also weighed in and criticized these pranksters for targeting a father and his young son.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.